Re: LYNX-DEV quote.yahoo.com

From: Michael Warner
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV quote.yahoo.com
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 18:39:28 -0800

On or about Fri, Nov 28, 1997, Matt Ackeret <address@hidden> wrote:

    [...]

> Again, the error page describing cookies is, I believe, a "catchall" error
> page, and is not truly describing the problem, since, as we know, Lynx
> 2.7 and above suports cookies.
>
> So going through this again -- does anyone know the real problem and if
> it's fixable now, or feasibly fixable in future Lynxes?

My experience:

I filled out the registration form, submitted it, got the "Accept
Cookie?..." prompt, answered (Y)es, got the error page.  Went back,
resubmitted, intending to answer (A)lways this time, but never got
asked, instead went straight to the error page.  Followed the link from
the error page to the list of 'cookie-supporting browsers' (results
of Digital's browser test suite, I believe), picked a recent listed
Lynx (ac-77), put that in as my browser on the (o)ptions page, tried
registering again, again didn't even get asked to accept a cookie before
ending up on the error page.

Fired up netscape, registered, went back to lynx, tried to log in,
again went straight to error page without an "accept cookie?" prompt.

Gave up.

Tentative conclusion:

Yahoo only recognizes NS and MSIE.

Suggestion:

Spoof a Mozilla browser (I didn't try it).

Question:

Why did I only get asked to accept a cookie the first time?  I (Q)uit
lynx several times during the process, so I wouldn't expect Yahoo to
recognize me, say "Oh, him again" and reject me out of hand...

I'm using:

Lynx Version 2.7.1ac-0.94

--
Michael Warner