Re: LYNX-DEV quote.yahoo.com, and cookies in general

From: Matt Ackeret
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV quote.yahoo.com, and cookies in general
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 20:47:02 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 29 Nov 1997, Michael Warner wrote:
>Suggestion:
>Spoof a Mozilla browser (I didn't try it).

So if I just use "Mozilla libwww-FM/2.14" that spoofs Mozilla, right?  I
presume(d) they only check the first bit.

>Question:
>Why did I only get asked to accept a cookie the first time?  I (Q)uit
>lynx several times during the process, so I wouldn't expect Yahoo to
>recognize me, say "Oh, him again" and reject me out of hand...

I don't know!  I really think there's some problem on either end that is
*not* cookie related.  I sent feedback regarding the inability to log in with
Lynx and that I thought I was given an incorrect error message since Lynx
does support cookies...

Speaking of supporting cookies, is there some really really complex reason
why Lynx doesn't support cookies across sessions?  Especially after
reading "Learning Perl" and "CGI Programming on the World Wide Web", saving
the cookies out and reading them back in would seem to be a cinch in Perl.

I was about to ask if I could have Lynx not prompt me for cookies each time,
but if they were kept from session to session that would mostly avoid the
problem.. (since I *do* want to know about them the first time.)