LYNX-DEV Lynx and frames fallthrough

From: Lloyd Wood
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx and frames fallthrough
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 1997 18:41:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, glen mccready <address@hidden> wrote:

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/spacesearch/

> >spacesearch works perfectly with lynx; there's a cgi that only
> >autoloads the javascript version if you have it (and the cgi is what
> >toiletology are using), and there's also full auto frames fallthrough.
>
>                                       Spacesearch lite - the public search
> tool
>
>    FRAME: queryss
>    FRAME: mainss
>
> That's not my definition of works, unfortunately.  Once I select "queryss"
> it's useful, but 'ew, frames.'  Along with a lot of other commonly overused
> extensions to the original spec.

Aha.

The Lynx 2.7 you're using isn't implementing frames fallthrough
correctly IMO.

Earlier non-frames-aware versions of lynx Do The Right Thing and show
the full html on the frameset page below the frame options; not doing
so is lossy html rendering, and I don't like it one bit.

I thought of cheat with a META-HTTP reload in the main body below the
frameset - a trick which does fool netscape 'what's a HEAD?' 1 nicely
and is demonstrated on:

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/I.Andrikopoulos/

but that's not kosher html and doesn't fool lynx.

Lynx ought to display all html on the frameset page, IMO. Some of us
using frames do know what we are doing, and shouldn't be penalised for
our efforts.

L.

<address@hidden>PGP<http://www.sat-net.com/L.Wood/>+44-1483-300800x3641