Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx and frames fallthrough

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx and frames fallthrough
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 10:04:53 +0900 (JST)

[BTW, I'm here for education, not to argue.]

> > >Lynx ought to display all html on the frameset page, IMO. Some of us
[...]
> A frameset page *is* an HTML page, albeit with nonstandard FRAMESET
> tags. I've even got BODY tags on my frameset page within the
> (redundant and utterly pointless since no shipping browser has a
> -noframes option or checkbox) NOFRAMES tags, and (with or without
> NOFRAMES), lynx doesn't display the HTML within the BODY tags.

My understanding of "FRAMESET" stuff was that it was invented _by_
Netscape _for_ Netscape only.  The NOFRAMES tag is for Netscape (so
it knows to ignore that info), NOT for any other browser.  Therefore,
too, frames are placed outside of any HTML tags, again, for Netscape's
sake.  If you put BODY tags within the frameset, or the frameset
within BODY tags, don't you foil the point of the frame?

An example of my interpretation of frameset, which if it is wrong, I
need to rewrite that sample page, is at:
        http://163.51.110.11/lynxdev/ldev.html.
Lynx really shouldn't display anything on that page, because there isn't
anything there!  The content between the the <noframes> tags is ONLY FOR
NETSCAPE, but no Netscraper is ever going to see that content (which is
why you should NOT try to access that page with Netscrape).  If there
is a bug in Lynx, isn't it that it recovers from the bad HTML, i.e.,
parses content outside of the body tags (as Netscape knew most browsers
would do)?

__Henry