Re: LYNX-DEV SSL (fwd)

From: nospam-seesignature
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SSL (fwd)
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 19:34:23 -0500

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, David Woolley wrote:

> (A few side questions:
>
> When does the RSA software patent expire?

9/20/2000, though note that other algorithms available within SSL may also
be patented (e.g. IDEA) with different terms and/or expiration dates.

> Are there any other IPR restrictions, in any country, on the encryption
> technology used by SSL?

IPR?  If you mean export/use, most prevent export to "rogue" countries
like North Korea and Libya, but don't use that to restrict FTP access.  In
France, I think all strong (maybe even weak) crypto is illegal except for
things like banking (i.e. you need a license).  Russia is apparently
similar to France.  There is an archive of crypto export rules somewhere,
but I don't have the URL in front of me.

> Have Netscape explicitly issued a licence for SSL permitting its use in Lynx
> and all
> potential future derived works (or all software which is "free" in the Gnu
> sense - which does permit payment - or all GPLed software)?

They have said something to the effect that the licensing would be free,
something akin to DES which was patented by IBM.  I would have to dig up
the exact press release or statement.  I think it was more to keep anyone
else from doing it (and it would break - there is a ton of prior art).