LYNX-DEV FTP URLs

From: Howard Kaikow
Subject: LYNX-DEV FTP URLs
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 11:44:40 -0500

Some time ago, I included the following in my index.html page.

<A href="ftp://ftp.mv.com/pub/users/standards/public/dicdef02.zip";>Word
Technical Paper #4, Dictionary style definitions (This is a zipped Word
document).</A>

When I clicked on the link, I was given the choice of only Download or
Cancel. Fine, that is what I want.

Last night, I modified a sub-page of index.html to include the following:

<A HREF="ftp://ftp.mv.com/pub/users/standards/icr/icr.zip";>Download ICR
macros version 1  (icr.zip, dated 3 December 1997, release 0.00000)</A>

Note that this is not the real file, just a test.

Alas, clicking on this caused Lynx to input the zip file as plain text.

I then modified the statement to be:

<A HREF="ftp://ftp.mv.com/pub/users/standards/icr/icr.zip;type=I";>Download
ICR macros version 1  (icr.zip, dated 3 December 1997, release 0.00000)</A>

Initially, this had the desired effect, but then it reverted to loading the
zip file as plain text.

In addition, the dicdef02.zip file now sometimes has that some problem.

Is this indicative of a bug in lynx 2.7.1 (unix platform)?
Or is it a problem with the server telling lynx the file type?

In addition, when I include the ;type=I, the ;type=I is included as part of
the suggested filename. Is there some way to avoid that?