Re: LYNX-DEV minor chartrans fixing before release proposed

From: Андрей Чернов
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV minor chartrans fixing before release proposed
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 05:12:21 +0300 (MSK)

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

> 1) preferred_charset - does we really need it now?
> It looks outdated and useless for Lynx.

It is really needed since passed as Accept-Charset HTTP header.
It is only way to tell remote server which charset you use as display
charset if you don't want any approximations. On linux you may also have
several display charsets (loadable) listed in that header.

> Nowadays Lynx is Unicode based internally,
> it supports more than 30 charsets (and new can be easily added)
> and if we set preferred_charset to one or several character sets

As I say Accept-Charset designed not for all known charsets represented
using various approximations but to reflect native console charset without
any translation which may lose visual representation.

> 2) Assume_charset (and Display_charset) have a multiple choice list:
> let charsets would be ordered according languages, not platforms,
> because user usually sure in language or country
> but not in remote platform. (Already done for VMS by Fote.)

Oh, Assume_charset is real hack and should be dead. If no charset on the
page, it must stuck at iso-8859-1 and page author should be complained.
What a pity we not live in perfect world...

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<address@hidden>