Re: LYNX-DEV ac98: 1.) configure, 2.) vt320/vt420 special keys with ncur

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ac98: 1.) configure, 2.) vt320/vt420 special keys with ncurses
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:17:08 -0500 (EST)

> I am presently building ac98 in order to run it in a captive account.
>
> 1.
> After running
>
> CC='gcc -pipe' CFLAGS='-O0 -g' ./configure --with-screen=ncurses \
>     --disable-dired   --disable-echo --enable-color-style
>
> i noticed that CFLAGS appeared crippled in the makefile: it showed up
> as
> -O0 -DLINUX
> i.e., the -g has been ignored.
-g is stripped unless you configure --with-debug.  (That's made necessary
by the design flaw in autoconf that assumes everyone builds with -g).

> configure ran under 2.01.0(1)-release (i586-pc-linux-gnu)
>
> 2. I'm going to access lynx in a captive accout from vanilla dec
> vt320/vt420/vt520- terminals. I've been surprised to notice that i
> could not map/remap the special keys above the cursor key block (find,
> insert, delete, select, page_up, page_down, help, execute).
>
> Looking into LYgetch() explained why ( the keys map to 0x106, 0x14b,
> 0x14a, 0x181, 0x153, 0x152, 0x117, 0x118 (return value of GetChar() in
> LYgetch() ) which is not handled in the case sequence in LYgetch() ).
what does your terminfo description look like?  The ones distributed
with ncurses assume 7-bit characters; these are 8-bit codes.  Ncurses
will process 8-bit codes correctly if the terminfo description is set
up for that (I've done it for xterm in 8-bit mode, but haven't implemented
for the other terminal types -- long story).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden