Re: LYNX-DEV auto form filling (was pls help)

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV auto form filling (was pls help)
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 10:24:48 -0500 (EST)

to follow up on what Larry W. Virden, x2487 said:

> Re: answering the question about autofilling form...
>
> As far as I know, this question gets asked frequently - has the answer
> reached the FAQ?

Lessee.  The oldest established permanent floating interim poor
excuse for a FAQ has

     * Sending a [96] forms-mode query from a batch job, for example one
       scheduled to run later. The [97] data should be properly
       formatted.

[snip]

  96. http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0397/msg00718.html
  97. http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1097/msg00690.html

The real problem is that there is too great a leap in the
documentation.  The explanation of -post_data and -get_data only
refers to "properly formatted data."  To know what that means you
have to read, mark, learn, and inwardly digest the HTTP spec, as
far as any more discussion in the Lynx docs is concerned.  [And
you have to know that that is where to look...]

Yes, this is an appropriate place to write something.  But the
critical need is in "the command line" and "Lynx and Forms," not
a FAQ, IMHO.

"Use of Lynx in scripts" is right up there with "Lynx as shell
for anonymous users" among the un-written but desirable guides or
application notes to go with Lynx.  But the people doing it are
going to have to care enough about the next poor slob who has to
figure it out, so that they write it down, or it will never
happen.  Henry is our shining example as regards installation...

-- Al

Above fragments quoted from
http://www.access.digex.net/%7Easgilman/lynx/FAQ/