Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx271f crashes on VMS

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx271f crashes on VMS
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 16:11:02 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden wrote:
>                      Problems with Lynx 271f - 2-dec-97
>                     ==================================
>
>       I attempted to build and install the current lynx271f, the build was
>clean but attempting to use it produced some problems.

        The traces are identical to those previously reported for the
devel code, so it presumeably is the same problem.

>(1) Crash on exit...
>       Start lynx then do 'q'
>
>Are you sure you want to quit? [Y]
>
>%SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation, reason mask=05, virtual address=FFFF0031,
>PC=00145F6D, PSL=03C00000
>%TRACE-F-TRACEBACK, symbolic stack dump follows
>module name     routine name                     line       rel PC    abs PC
>
>                                                           00145F6D  00145F6D
>                                                           0014B394  0014B394
>UCX$CRTLIBXFR   HTONS                                      8021A19A  802EECB2
>                                                           0014AEB2  0014AEB2
>LYEXIT          LYexit                           4468      00000033  0007CB73
>LYMAIN          main                            20694      0000180B  00086BF3
>
>From LYexit.c list file...
>[...]
> 4468    1         exit(status);

        That exit(status) invokes the VMSexit() handler in LYCurses.c.
Since it was a clean exit, the only thing it would do is make sure
stderr is not pointing to a file:

    *stderr = LYOrigStderr;

Try commenting out that line.

>(2) Crash with Trace on...
>
>Start Lynx, press Crtl-T then attempt to follow an external link.
>
>Getting http://werple.net.au/~lions/header.htm
>
>%SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation, reason mask=00,
>       virtual address=00000050, PC=00149FCC, PSL=0BC00000
>%TRACE-F-TRACEBACK, symbolic stack dump follows
>module name     routine name                     line       rel PC    abs PC
>
>                                                           00149FCC  00149FCC
>                                                           001465B2  001465B2
>LYCOOKIE        LYCookie                        19712      0000005C  0007A6F0
>HTTP            HTLoadHTTP                      16373      00000A74  000C2970
>[...]
>From the LYCOOKIE.C list file..
>[...]
>19708    2             fprintf(stderr,
>19709    2                     "LYCookie: Searching for '%s:%i', '%s'.\n",
>19710    2                     (hostname ? hostname : "(null)"),
>19711    2                     port,
>19712    2                     (path ? path : "(null)"));
>[...]
>
>(VAX VMS 5.5-2, UCX 4.1, VAX C 3.2, Lynx 271f 2-dec-97)

        That fprintf() is protected against any of the strings being
NULL, so it similarly suggests that something funny is going on with
stderr redirection for VAXC.  Try invoking Lynx with the redirection
to a file turned off (-tlog).

        I don't have access to VAXC or VAXen, only DECC on an AXP 2100,
which doesn't exhibit any of these problems.  There is no real stderr
on VMS.  The compilers are playing games with SYS$ERROR, and perhaps
different games with VAXC or VAXen versus DECC or AXPen.  It might be
necessary to go back to using freopen() with VAXC or VAXen.  The
freopen() was problematic for Unix on spawns, but not for VMS (but
since Laura's suggestion of doing in with equality statements appeared
to work on VMS as on Unix, I didn't see a need for yet more Unix versus
VMS #ifdef'ing).

                                Fote