Re: LYNX-DEV Win32 Lynx Problems...

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Win32 Lynx Problems...
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 07:33:38 +0000 (GMT)

> Well, I know definitely there are many versions of uuencode - some are
> totally broken, using spaces as valid encoding characters (which cause
> problems when passing thru sites which drop trailing spaces from lines...).

Not broken, just old.  The original uuencode simply added 32 to the
six bit codes. ` was added to workaround broken email transports.  It
is, however, true that there is no real standard for uuencode.

> and format of the messages are.  Unfortunately, there are some (many
> in all likelihood) implementations which do not conform to the standards

Some of the problem is people using external MIME encoders without
understanding that the MIME headers need integrating with their headers,
or, as in old Compuserve, without the ability to merge the headers.