Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx271f crashes on VMS

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx271f crashes on VMS
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 14:24:18 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden wrote:
>Fote wrote....
>>      Try today's (1997-12-15) lynx271f.zip.  I moved that statement
>>to within the  if (LYTraceLogFP != NULL)  clause in cleanup() of LYClean.c.
>>
>       Out of the box build was fine...
>       Routine exit is OK.
>       Tracing seems to work both to screen and file, but if I start to trace
>there is always a crash on exit, even if I turn trace off before exit ie.
>       if I start lynx, crtl-T, crtl-T again, then Q...
>
>%SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation, reason mask=05, virtual address=FFFF0031,
>PC=00145F6D, PSL=03C00000
>%TRACE-F-TRACEBACK, symbolic stack dump follows
>module name     routine name                     line       rel PC    abs PC
>
>                                                           00145F6D  00145F6D
>                                                           0014B394  0014B394
>UCX$CRTLIBXFR   HTONS                                      8021A27A  802EECB2
>                                                           0014AEB2  0014AEB2
>LYEXIT          LYexit                           4468      00000033  0007CB9B
>LYMAIN          main                            20694      0000180B  00086C6B
>
>FWIW reason mask 05 indicates a length violation during an attempted
>read/modify operation.

        I think the basic problem is that the old VAXC, but not DECC in
VAXC emulation, is declaring stderr as noshare, so the use of equalities
(instead of freopen() as originally) gets tricky with the old VAXC.

        Anyway, try today's (1997-12-16) lynx271f.zip and see if I've
out smarted the old VAXC yet.  If it's OK, you'll also have the benefit
of an ELGOTO keystroke command for passing the current link's URL (or
ACTION) to the line editor for modification and use as a goto URL
(homologous to ECGOTO for the current document's URL).

>Cookie Crumbles
>[...]
>       Cookies now work well, thanks for the effort... :-)

        I had changed the %i to %d in the fprintf() and sprintf() calls,
because the arguments are always decimal and that would avoid potential
problems with checks for whether they are octal or hexadecimal.  Be sure
to exercize today's lynx271f.zip with cookies that have Expires or Max-Age
attributes before deciding that the problem has fully crumbled. :)

                                Fote