Re: LYNX-DEV Strange behaviour at www.dolphinaccess.com

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Strange behaviour at www.dolphinaccess.com
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 1997 13:32:50 -0500 (EST)

to follow up on what Michael Lang said:

> There's a screen reader called Hal, a demo of which can be downloaded
> from the site mentioned in the subject. However, this does not work
> with Lynx, it only works with Internet Explorer. I go to the site,
> select "freeware", then "demos", then "download Hal". If i select this
> last link, Lynx puts me back to a previous page.  Is this bad Html or a
> bug in Lynx? I also told the Dolphin people about it, but would be
> pleased, if somebody who knows Html better than I could take a look at
> this. I didn't go to the text only page, I went directly to freeware
> from the first page.

It is not bad HTML, it is the wrong URL.  This is an editorial
error on the part of the site builders.

You can check on this without knowing HTML by using the
Information Page display which is invoked with the equal sign
'='.  Navigate to the point where the failed link would be the
next place you go, and press the equal sign key.  This tells you
where you are about to go.  This check would have told you the
problem, because even although the text of the link says
"download," the URL is not a reference to a program file but to
the discussion of _the other_ access product from this company.

A gold-plated non-sequitur in their page.

-- Al Gilman