LYNX-DEV DNS and Lynx on Dos

From: Al Gilman
Subject: LYNX-DEV DNS and Lynx on Dos
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 11:48:43 -0500 (EST)

to follow up on what Thuy-Quynh Vo said:

> Hi everybody!
>
> Ok, it's the first time i'm posting something on this mailing list, and
> it's because i have a real big problem. I'm new to lynx versions of dos,
> but no to unix versions. The problem is that with the new versions of
> Bobcat and Doslynx, the lynx machine is always "looking up" when i try
> to reach a web page. Both the dialer and the tcp are working, since the
> lights of my external modem show that i am fully connected, but Bobcat
> and Doslynx are always giving me a "looking up" message, following with
> a "Alert! cannot reach ...".
>
> I've tried to play with the diverse .cfg files, but nothing worked. And
> i'm very wondering what can be the problem, since arachne for dos and
> internet explorer are fully functionnable on my computer.

Well, your ISP has a functioning DNS name service and the packet
driver serving Lynx isn't learning where it is.  You haven't told
us what packet driver you are using, and how you have installed
it, so we can't be specific about where the IP address(es) for the
DNS server(s) should be.

Look for configuration parameters mentioning "nameserver" or
"DNS."  Depending on the networking software you use, the
appropriate config file may be wattcp.cfg .

Compare the Arachne and Lynx installations.

Good luck.

Let us know how you solved the problem, or let us know more about
how you installed your packet driver (if you haven't yet solved
the problem).

-- Al Gilman