Re: LYNX-DEV ftp files `d'ownloaded by Lynx usually larger than when us

From: Dick Wesseling
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ftp files `d'ownloaded by Lynx usually larger than when using unix ftp
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 17:31:07 +0100

some time ago, address@hidden said:
> > Nelson Henry Eric wrote:
> > >
> > > I just downloaded a set of gzipped files, once by pressing `d' on the
> > > highlighted link from within Lynx and then "saving to disk", and then
> > > again by `get'ing in binary mode using the standard ftp on SunOS4.1.3.
> > >
> > > Seems to me they should be exactly the same size, but
> >
> > [Results showing different file sizes chopped]
> >
> > > BTW, the Lynx-downloaded files fail to patch on, whereas the ftp files go
> > > on,
> > > which explains the problems I had getting ncurses-4.1 patched last week.
> >
> > I have been getting intermittent file corruptions as well... guess I
> > should
> > check my filesizes closely and see if there are any discrepancies.
> >
> > My problems were with ac94, though... what version caused the errors for
> > you?

This happened to me also the other night. It turned out that the
increase in file size is caused by receiving a binary file in text
mode, inserting CR after each LF. The problem occurred with ac97 and
ftp://ftp.uu.net/graphics/png/src/zlib-1.0.4.tar.gz.
The problem was intermittent. I had rather presented a patch than a bug
report here, but when I tried to reproduce the problem today the file
downloaded just fine.