Re: LYNX-DEV dns lookups

From: Andy Harper
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV dns lookups
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 18:18:06 GMT

>>  well exactly, so what is socketshr doing that is different? Does the
>> multinet
>>  gethostbyname routine NOT fail if it cannot do the reverse lookup?  I shal
>>  obviously have to write a short test program!
>
>       Empirically (i.e., looking at the HTParseInet() phost structure
>with the debugger), MultiNet is loading the name argument of the
>gethostbyname() call into phost->h_name, e.g., for www.wfbr.edu it becomes
>that, not sci.wfbr.edu.  I don't see why any of that matters, because
>Lynx doesn't use the phost->h_name element, and if you can tweak the
>socketshr library's gethostbyname() such that it loads its name argument
>and returns a valid pointer if the other elements are valid, it should
>work as with MultiNet.

  I have written a short test program now which displays the hostent for a
  given name. Running it over multinet ans socketshr separately shows up broadly
  what you've said but there are some other differences (like it doesn't always
  return CNAMES properly). I'll attempt to tweak socketshr over the next couple
  of weeks and then package it up after the new year holidays.

  The problem is definitely with socketshr though, not lynx or multinet

Regards,

Andy Harper
Kings College London