Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx installation problem

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx installation problem
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 10:29:31 -0700

"T.E.Dickey" <address@hidden> writes:
> Scott wrote:
> > It seams that configure determined that /usr/sbin/install should be used
> > for installing software, but failed to account for the way this version
> > works. I can't seem to see another version either.
> >
> > Basically, make install does the following:
> >
> >   /usr/sbin/install -s -m 755 lynx /usr/local/bin/lynx
> >
> > but man install says that if given the final arguement, it should be a
> > directory and not a file name, and is used to search for an existing file to
> > install over. If none is found, install failes. I finally determined that
> > the
> > expected command should be:
> >
> >   /usr/sbin/install -s -m 755 -f /usr/local/bin lynx
> >
> > Now, the question arises, why is the install on this system so out of tune
> > with the expectations of the makefile and configure? If this problem is
> > common to Solaris 2.5.1, then such systems would not be able to install lynx
> > using the makefile. Not a good thing!
> autoconf's expecting a bsd-compatible install script.  I assume that it's
> not detecting that the 2.5.1 install isn't.  (will try to investigate more).
>
> you can workaround by setting $INSTALL to the path of the install* script
> in the lynx distribution (perhaps it's not finding that because "." isn't
> in your path, or perhaps it doesn't see that 2.5.1's install doesn't work --
> I don't know).  I probably didn't notice it because I've (at work) a
> bsd-compatible install ahead of the vendor's install.

Tom,

Thanks for the reply. Since we had a Sun rep come in and set up the box, I
would guess that there are likely to be more boxes set up similarly out there.
I, of course, can get lynx installed despite such problems, but it would be
really nice to figure out how to get configure to detect and handle such a
situation for others not a savvy. What can I do to help track it down
further? It is possible to get you a login on the box if needed.

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,
Email: address@hidden (Scott McGee)         | run in circles,
Web:   http://www.slcc.edu/infotech/webmaster.html | scream and shout.
My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of the College. Trust me!