Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx-2.5 works but not 2.7 with Indian Script Terminal

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx-2.5 works but not 2.7 with Indian Script Terminal
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 11:20:19 +0000 (GMT)

>     for character "ai" in Indian Script.

One other point I should have made is that, because HTML is based
on Unicode, it works in characters not glyphs, although I think
the Indic Unicode alphabets show some compromise towards glyphs,
e.g. distinguishing isolated and attached forms of vowels.  You will
need a display driver that works in characters, e.g.  for Krishna it
will probably need to be given something like k - no-vowel - r - short-i
retroflexive-sh no-vowel retroflexive-n (assuming I've got the spelling
right and assuming that Indian computer codes obey the implicit short-a
rule), even though it needs to construct the display from short-i - k -
r-modifier-right-conjunct sh-retroflexive-left-conjunct - n-retroflexive,
together with fine positioning information.  (There may be a few conjuct
consonants in Unicode, but not a complete set.)

If you want to actually transmit glyphs, you'd have to use a local use
part of the code map (at least conceptually, if you use the binary values),
or accept that only browsers with poor international support will work.

(You might want to note that nearly all users of Windows authoring tools
generate illegal HTML because they don't understand the character sets
being used and the tools don't correct them.)