Re: LYNX-DEV proxy and 'z'apped transfer - suggestion

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV proxy and 'z'apped transfer - suggestion
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 08:51:02 +0000 (GMT)

> Is it possible and desirable to add new 'Z' key (besides existing 'z')
> to stop transfer virtually, e.a. allow proxy to finish transfer
> in background?

> Actually, I used 'z' for this purpose on Lynx 2.6
> but with 2.7.1+ it stop transfer more strictly.

I think this may be the result of a bug that was reported a month or two
ago.  Lynx wasn't always closing aborted connections, with the probable result
that the proxy stalls waiting for its output to be consumed, whereas
the CERN proxy or a suitably configured Squid will complete the transfer in
the background if the connection closes.  I think the bug was being
detected as the result of the file descriptor leak.

There is no official protocol for signalling caches to go into background
mode.