LYNX-DEV DNS lookups revisited

From: Andy Harper
Subject: LYNX-DEV DNS lookups revisited
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 13:22:57 GMT

With regard to my earlier message about DNS lookups and the problems within
SOCKETSHR, I have made approrpiate modifications to SOCKETSHR which correct
this problem. I've followed what the MULTINET gethostbyname routine appears to
do, which is to return the user's original host name if the reverse lookup
fails.

With this change installed, LYNX over SOCKETSHR can now access sites that do
not have a reverse entry in the DNS. The general consensus of those who've
mailed me seems to be that it is a bit silly not to have a reverse entry but is
equally silly for SOCKETSHR to fail a gethostbyname if it doesn't.

The revised SOCKETSHR code can be obtained from:

    http://alder.cc.kcl.ac.uk/fileserv/zip/socketshr_src_09d-5.zip
    ftp://ftp2.kcl.ac.uk/zip/socketshr_src_09D-5.zip

You will need VAX C or GNU C to compile this. Changes are noted in the
00CHANGES.ZIP file.

Regards,

Andy Harper
Kings College London