Re: LYNX-DEV proxy and 'z'apped transfer - suggestion

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV proxy and 'z'apped transfer - suggestion
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 14:07:08 +0300 (MSK)

>      * From: David Woolley <address@hidden>
>      * Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 08:51:02 +0000 (GMT)
>      * Sender: address@hidden

> > Is it possible and desirable to add new 'Z' key (besides existing 'z')
> > to stop transfer virtually, e.a. allow proxy to finish transfer
> > in background?
>
> > Actually, I used 'z' for this purpose on Lynx 2.6
> > but with 2.7.1+ it stop transfer more strictly.
>
> I think this may be the result of a bug that was reported a month or two
> ago.  Lynx wasn't always closing aborted connections, with the probable result
> that the proxy stalls waiting for its output to be consumed, whereas
> the CERN proxy or a suitably configured Squid will complete the transfer in
> the background if the connection closes.  I think the bug was being
> detected as the result of the file descriptor leak.
>
> There is no official protocol for signalling caches to go into background
> mode.

I was talking about client singalling other than "failure" (see below).
This possibility beyond of my exact knowlege, but
HTTP1.1 (rfc2068, section 8.1) says:

                  ...    Servers SHOULD NOT close a connection in the
   middle of transmitting a response, unless a network or client failure
   is suspected.

   Clients that use persistent connections SHOULD limit the number of
   simultaneous connections that they maintain to a given server. A
   single-user client SHOULD maintain AT MOST 2 connections with any
   server or proxy. A proxy SHOULD use up to 2*N connections to another
   server or proxy, where N is the number of simultaneously active
   users. These guidelines are intended to improve HTTP response times
   and avoid congestion of the Internet or other networks.