Re: LYNX-DEV of interest

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV of interest
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 10:14:47 +0900 (JST)

> Thought you might find it interesting.

I've been following it with great interest for the last few years.
I think with proper education of the powers that be, there are
opportunities to boost Lynx into the big time.

> > PC makers could gain new leverage in negotiating contracts with Microsoft,
> > potentially forcing the software company to pay manufacturers to install its
> > browser. Microsoft also could be dragged into a bidding war with its chief
> > browser rival, Netscape Communications Corp., over exclusive installation

My analysis is that Microsoft could get the antitrust boys off their
back by packaging Win32 Lynx alongside MSIE.  It would be pennies to
them, and pennies well spent, to put 10 or so programmers (about 5% of
the MSIE development team) on a Lynx-Windows integration team.

Really comes down to how greedy Bill has become, and whether his ideals
still live in the back of his conscience somewhere.  He has the power
to do a lot of good in the world; will he do it?

__Henry