Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx 2.7.1

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx 2.7.1
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 07:50:30 -0500

From: Subir Grewal <address@hidden>
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: Lynx 2.7.1

> On the question of SSL.  Unfortunately, we cannot put SSL capability into
> the general distribution because of the draconian US laws concerning the
> export of encryption technology.  However, there is more than one way to

While these are definitely a problem, let us not forget that other countries
also have encryption laws which a development community must keep in mind,
in case an addition might prevent the product from being used there as
well.

Has the laws in France changed with regards to encryption over the past
year?  Last year I read several popular press articles describing the fact
that several countries, including France i thought, had made encrypting
by the general public illegal.  Perhaps though that doesn't apply to SSL.
In any case, the problem with shipping SSL should not be considered merely
a USA problem.