LYNX-DEV http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1297/msg00565.html

From: jspath
Subject: LYNX-DEV http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1297/msg00565.html
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 15:52:50 -0700

Sabato writes:
hello listers,
I have noted that downloading patches of lynx source code and updating the
program using patch command line executable (i'm talking of the version of
lynx under dos operating system), the version's number of lynx.exe is not
updated. Is this behavior regular?

Yes, check out the HELP page attached to the patch script:

#                                       Help for Lynx Patch Generator (p2 of 3)

   The patch generator includes logic to create a compressed data stream
   of the patch file in order to minimize download time. Since your local
   site may be configured to uncomress such streams, you should probably
   use the "d"ownload function in Lynx to save the compressed version
   properly. The patch generator will suggest a file name that is
   representative of the from/to versions being patched, with the correct
   .gz file extension. We do not supply .Z versions of patches, sorry.

Internal code version

   If you update your Lynx code using a generated patch, the LYNX_VERSION
   string in userdefs.h will not be automatically changed. You should
   edit userdefs.h by hand in order to have the new version level be
   reflected in messages and the user-agent string which Lynx sends.

(It is a bug).

Later!