Re: LYNX-DEV SSL hooks for Lynx v2.7.2

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SSL hooks for Lynx v2.7.2
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1998 17:24:56 -0500 (EST)

980101 Fote wrote:
> The lynx272ssleay.zip SSL hook replacement files for Lynx v2.7.2
> will be available to qualified recipients via  http://www.cryptography.org
> (it's not there today, New Years, but should be soon).  That URL returns
> a form for affirming your US or Canadian citizenship or permanent resident
> status, location in the US or Canada, and "respect" for the US Export Laws.

just a reminder that Canadian law is NOT the same as US law.
roughly -- consult a Canadian lawyer if you're seriously concerned -- ,
there is a provision in Canadian export regulations (not laws)
requiring exporters of items imported from the USA to respect restrictions
by the US government on exporting those items to 3rd countries.
however, the regulation is loosely worded & there is little reason to believe
that Canadian authorities would take action against a Canadian exporter
of cryptographic software unless the 3rd country was Iraq, Libya or N Korea;
Canada doesn't have the same hang-ups about Iran as the US does
& we're generally well-disposed towards the Cubans
& Canada doesn't have an enormous security establishment like the US,
so it's unlikely export of cryptography would interest anyone in Ottawa
unless the US government presented really good evidence of potential misuse
by a real-life dangerous set like Colombian drug mafia or Serbian arms dealers.
so once cryptographic software is in Canada,
there's very little in practice to stop it going to most other places.