Re: LYNX-DEV extension languages for Lynx

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV extension languages for Lynx
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 14:04:44 -0800 (PST)

> From address@hidden Mon Jan  5 05:13:37 1998
> Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 06:02:54 -0500
> From: address@hidden (Larry W. Virden, x2487)
> Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV extension languages for Lynx
> To: address@hidden
> Sender: address@hidden
>
> There have been requests over the past years for a scripting language.
> The primary one, as folk can imagine, is JavaScript.  Tcl has also been
> requested several times, and I can imagine the Perl and Python camps
> also having some interest.
>
> We've been told for years that the internals of Lynx need redesigned if
> a multi-pass process for table generation is ever going to be implemented.
> To date, no one has stepped forward with the energy to take on that task.
> I suspect that support for HTML 4 and XML will also be a healthy challenge.
>
> Is there any way that the varying interests could all be served by first
> a redesign of the innards of lynx, and THEN folk splintering off to implement
> their favorite feature?
> --
> Larry W. Virden                 INET: address@hidden
> <URL:http://www.teraform.com/%7Elvirden/> <*> O- "We are all Kosh."
> Unless explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should
> be construed as representing my employer's opinions.

Re HTML4 and XML:

Is lynx the ONLY (free) program on the planet
that converts HTML to (sort of) plain ascii?

If there were some other program that did
only that, then lynx could merely call it,
and keep its concerns to only the browsing
and http etc stuff.

Especially if the lynx team worked WITH the
other team.

I mean, isn't having to know BOTH the browsing
stuff AND the html stuff a little much for
one brain?

(Of course, lynx probably IS the only such
program...)