Re: LYNX-DEV A dummy packet driver for Lynx/DJGPP

From: Michael Sokolov
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV A dummy packet driver for Lynx/DJGPP
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 10:48:12 -0500 (EST)

   Leonid Pauzner <address@hidden> writes:
>It is not bad idea to add a few more words to readme.txt from
>nullpktd.exe:
>just quick start "nullpkt 0x60" and "nullpkt -u" to uninstall
>so user should not look for another docs about interrupt vector.
   I didn't put a recommendation to use vector 60 in there because many
people prefer to use 61 or 62. Apparently many people have something else
that uses 60. I use 60 myself without any problems. As for the command line
format, if you run NULLPKT with an empty command line it'll give you a
usage message. In any case, the reason I have written that README.TXT file
is to explain the status of NULLPKT with respect to Crynwr and GPL. If you
are going to include NULLPKT in the distribution, feel free to modify that
file in any way you like.
   As for uuencoded files and the lynx-dev archives, the behavior you are
observing is fully normal and expected. You shouldn't extract messages out
of the archive by downloading the HTML source, you should download the
rendered version. There are characters that are valid in plain text but not
in HTML. If you need these characters in an HTML document, you have to
encode them as character entities. That's exactly what the mailing list
archiving system does. However, Lynx does an excellent job at restoring
character entities back to characters during rendering, so after
downloading the rendered version you should be able to uudecode it without
any problems.

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 440-449-0299