Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Setting up a fund for specific development?

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Setting up a fund for specific development?
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 11:30:56 -0500 (EST)

> PS: I'm seriously considering working on table support for Lynx. But I haven't
> looked at the Lynx source. Is there anything about the Lynx design that makes
> it hard or are people just being intimidated by the complexity of html tables?
> (The latter doesn't faze me. i worked on Emacs-W3's table support. The former
> could send me running back to lisp:)
I think they're mainly intimidated by the size of the program.  My impression
of the code is that there's a lot of special-purpose logic for different
features, with a number of functions that have grown too large to be
maintained (an 8000-line function is too large for my tastes, anyway ;-).

If someone were to add to this - my recommendation is that it be undertaken
along with some restructuring to split up the larger functions, replacing
those extended switch statements by a table of pointers to functions.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden