Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Setting up a fund for specific development?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Setting up a fund for specific development?
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 06:39:58 -0800 (PST)

RE: "Also most tables won't fit in 80 columns."

The way I see it, more and more of us are getting
20-inch screens; Sun (and others) now sells a 24-inch
screen.  These things are getting wider.  Even 17
allows a lot more columns than 80.

Further, there's lots of screen packages, editors, etc,
I believe, that allow one to HORIZONTALLY scroll
what they're looking at.

So, printing a table in eg 250 columns width should,
for wide-screen people, or willing-to-scroll people,
would at least allow the thing to be SEEN.

In fact Lynx itself could do horizontal scrolling,
almost trivially easily if that underlying module you
load in for display-out provides it.  Or maybe
the people who maintain THAT software could be
talked into adding it.

---

I note that use of TABLES in pages, especially
pages I look at, sometimes, makes lynx USELESS
for those pages, because there is NO WAY that
I can make any sense out of the output.

(One person on the list said he/she knows how to
read the things, how to make sense out of the
lynx output.  Hints, please?)

----