LYNX-DEV Lynx for OS/390

From: pg
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx for OS/390
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 20:36:51 -0700 (MST)

Alas, this isn't an announcement of a completed port.  Rather, it's an
early warning to avoid redundant effort.

Is anyone working on a port of Lynx, the premiere curses-mode WWW
browser to OS/390 Unix Services?

My status:  I hacked the Makefile and a couple header files until I got
a clean compile, a dirty link and a startup of the executable without a
program check.  The display is mostly trash with a few recognizable text
fields.  Then I hacked a couple character attribute tables until the "Q"
key quits the application.  I need to do some ASCII-EBCDIC translation
for all received data.  I'm pleasantly surprised I got this far.

Has anyone else attempted a port of Lynx to an non-ASCII platform?  I'd
like to compare notes.

My patch is available at the link below.  It will be updated
sporadically, as I get a chance to work on it.

   Linkname: lynx.patch.os390

This ia a patch to be applied to:

   Linkname: Lynx2-7-2

To unzip the Lynx distribution, you'll need something like:

   Linkname: OS/390 OpenEdition -- Tools and Toys to Download

-- gil