Re: LYNX-DEV java, javascript and extension languages

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV java, javascript and extension languages
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 14:39:44 +0900 (JST)

> Klaus around.  We've got (with ac #105) a version that could be released in
> 2-3 weeks.  That's if we stop adding new features, concentrate on bug fixes

Very much in favor of concentrating only on bug fixes and putting out a
version.  With one reservation ...

> and build issues.  (There's the issue of Fote vs Klaus on the "internal links"
> which apparently no one but them pays any attention to).

Not true, I for one am keenly interested.  However, at the same time, I
would be the first to admit that I do not completely understand the
consequences of Klaus' implementation.  I know, despite whatever opinion
Fote may have, that Klaus himself has (had) slight reservations and is
(was) open to discussion and constructive argument on the point.

I had assumed that the following change documented in CHANGES.new was
enough to reconcile their differences:
"
1997-10-26
* If compiled with -DDONT_TRACK_INTERNAL_LINKS, behavior with respect to
  internal links as in FM's code. - KW
".
If with this compile-time option, assuming of course that it is working
as Klaus intended, is not enough to allow Fote to "seriously consider using
the develpment code", i.e., give it his seal of approval, then I for one
believe this needs further work.  I realize the clash of personalities is
a rough storm to get over, but as I've stated again and again, a true and
COMPLETE reconciliation is a paramount prerequisite to issuing a new
version, and much more important than bug fixes.

Putting out a new version without Fote's blessing would be like leaving
a new-born baby on a bench in a train station in the middle of January.

__Henry