Re: LYNX-DEV extension languages for Lynx

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV extension languages for Lynx
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 15:31:13 +0900 (JST)

> > > And, since lynx is ascii oriented (well, not
[...]
> > That's what we do do, but we're limited to telnet and
> > vt100 emulation.  Kids these days don't get overly excited
> > with ESC[32m or ^G.  Also, the best I could do was a micro-
[...]
> Now, if you can get those little PC's to ACT like
> vt-100s, using FULL SCREEN, you can have the same effect

Like I say, they work fine as vt100s.  That's not enough for
me, nor my students.  I now have Linux running on one of those
machines.  In another couple of months I'll have X-Windows
going (though no mouse, unless I write my own driver, not a
likely possibility).

> Of the crybabies, be they japanese or american,

Exactly!  While the other teachers are moaning and groaning about
our 12-year-old machines, and waiting for their dreams to come true,
and budget to come through, my students will be whizzing by.

> "F**K THEM!", I say.  (But I know that is no answer you

I'm soft spoken, but that doesn't prevent me from laying rubber!

__Henry

PS
For those interested, the story continues with LILO.  Man, is it hard
to get that thing to work (FreeBSD was such a breeze).  The best I've
got going is a 500kb MSDOS partition that does boot, and then in
autoexec.bat I have one line for the dosloader.  Since the kernel is on
that disk, I only loose a few 100kb of disk space and 20 or so seconds
for dos to boot and execute the single command.  Haven't given up yet,
though, on a direct HD boot to linux.