Re: LYNX-DEV extension languages for Lynx

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV extension languages for Lynx
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 14:26:23 -0500

Until Java has something as good, or better, than ncurses for managing
a generic screen it's unreasonable to attempt to build lynx in Java.

But why are we worry about the implementation language right now anyways?
The first part of problem solving - particularly one done electronically -
needs to be spent agreeing on requirements, specifications, designing
the object classes, etc.  At that point, what _I_ would find a fascinating
experiment would be to have the Python, Java, and Scheme/Guile folk go off
and implement the design.  Let's see what shakes out of it.  Now granted,
it would be 'ideal' (imo) to have reusable classes/objects, perhaps
dcom/corba compatible so that things could be commonly used.  However,
I don't know how far the current object communities philosophies of
reusable components extend from the theoretical world into the real world.