Re: LYNX-DEV A bug for "lynx -dump"?

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV A bug for "lynx -dump"?
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 18:14:27 -0500 (EST)

Yaping Chen <address@hidden> wrote:
>       I use "lynx -dump" as a html2ascii filter. I have found that
>this filter sends out an 8-bit latin 1 charater to display the
>copyright symbol for our HTML man pages. This works fine for any
>latin 1 locale, but not for anyone else.
>
>       For instance, with LANG=C, this copyright charater will be
>displayed as M-), instead of "the R in a circle" if LANG=en_US.
>
>       Without using "-dump", lynx browser will be able to display
>this charater ( "&#169" in our HTML man page documents) as "the R
>in a circle". I guess there is bug in the code which handles "-dump"
>option. I looked at the code but it is hard for me to locate this
>problem. Could anyone help me with this?

        The -dump outputs a *rendering* of text/html, which includes
conversion to your designated Display Character Set, selected via the
'o'ptions menu and saved ('>') to your .lynxrc file.  If you have not
saved a choice, the default is "ISO Latin 1" (iso-8859-1).  Save
"7 bit approximations" if you want conversions of any 8-bit or multibyte
characters to ASCII approximations.  This assumes you are using v2.7.2
or the devel code with the chartrans support.

        No released version of Lynx uses external locale variables, nor
does the devel code.  If the modified SCO version is generating M-)
instead of (c) as the ASCII approximation, a bug apparently has been
created, or it's a side effect of being based on an old version of
Lynx without the chartrans support.

                                Fote