Re: LYNX-DEV Need some help!

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Need some help!
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 21:37:28 +0900 (JST)

> error message no packet driver found.
[...]
> Another important question is; from where can I configure the proxies on the

The file "http://144.35.10.96/lynx/current/INSTALLATION"; may be worth
downloading.  Quoting from my _revised_ copy of it:

    You'll want to test Lynx now, but Lynx_386 won't work without a packet
    driver installed.  You can use slip8250.com, available in the CRYNWR
    package "http://www.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/pktdrvr/pktd11.zip";.
    Usage is "slip8250 0x60", but you may have to invoke it as, for example,
    "slip8250  0x60 6 3 0x2F8" so that it uses COM2 and IRQ 3, in order to
    avoid an IRQ conflict with a mouse or some other device.  Another packet
    driver is slipper.exe, which is available from many sites, including
    "ftp://jazz.trumpet.com.au/slipper";.  To remove it from memory use
    termin.com (usage "termin 0x60"), available in the CRYNWR package.  You
    can also use a null packet driver that just allows Lynx to start up, but
    doesn't do anything else.  See "msg00031.html", "msg00057.html", and
    "msg00066.html" under "http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0198/";.
    Start the dummy packet driver with "nullpkt 0x60", and take it out of
    memory with "nullpkt -u".  If you plan to use the executable uuencoded in
    the mailing list messages, be sure to use the 'P'rint option in Lynx to
    "Save to a local file."  To connect over a dialup PPP connection you need
    klos' pppshare or dosppp (find at "ftp://ftp.klos.com/demo/pppshare.exe";
    and "http://www.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/msdos/pktdrvr/dosppp05.zip";).

I'm still working on this section and very much would appreciate feedback
on which of the three options you chose, and why, and if this paragraph was
helpful.  How could it be more helpful?  There is information in INSTALLATION
about setting up proxies, and although it mostly refers to Unix and VMS, it
may be useful.  You may set proxies in your lynx.cfg file or via environmental
variables.

> I'm running it from a workstation installed with windows95 running the

You do know that there is a port, "Win32", for Windows95/NT?

__Henry