Re: LYNX-DEV Side scrolling, tables, and adaptive tech

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Side scrolling, tables, and adaptive tech
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 07:21:59 -0800 (PST)

> From address@hidden Mon Jan 12 14:51:07 1998
> From: Al Gilman <address@hidden>
> Subject: LYNX-DEV Side scrolling, tables, and adaptive tech
> To: address@hidden
>
> Scott Luebking at Berkeley did some work with blind users and a
> table browser that he wrote.  His browser did user-controlled
> folding of the information plane.  First it decorated body
> cells by surrounding them with copies of their relevant
> header cell information, and then the user could select how
> much of the result to have on the display plane or not.
>
> Consider what you would get if you could interactively show/hide
> rows and columns in a table.  That would get you a table
> compressor that would pull up the view that you need.  This, of
> course, is not a text interface.  It is a mini-spreadsheet.

1: as I type this in, my headphones are playing a radio station
    with some guy from sunsoft on, (educational station) and he
    is talking about spreadsheet "components" available in java,
    for plug-ins.

    The java part is neither here nor there, but the idea that this
    is a "spreadsheet", really, leads to the idea that there must
    be some FREE spreadsheets out there, whose code can be copied.

     Maybe the above mentioned thing at Berkeley is free, and
     can fit under the gnu-copyleft?

2:  EXCEPT: spreadsheets are usually MOUSE-ORIENTED.  Clearly,
     that is NOT what we want, not for lynx, anyway!

     So again I suggest some awk-like (cols $1-$3 $5 $8-$9)
     to set the column choices, and (rows 20-50), eg, for the
     rows.

     And some settable mode for whether to duplicate the col-headings
      (a) on the sub-piece typed out or (b) each SCREEN-page,
      and likewise for the row labels.

     By the way, EMACS has a spreadsheet mode, which (being emacs)
     needs no mouse.  Maybe that will provide some ideas...