LYNX-DEV Aborting name resolution

From: Brad Tonkes
Subject: LYNX-DEV Aborting name resolution
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 17:41:36 +1000 (EST)

Firstly, thanks for lynx - it's a great alternative to Net$cape that
a) doesn't cause my XTerminal to run out of memory and panic,
b) takes far less than 5MB of disk space,
c) doesn't core dump every 15 minutes, and
d) starts in less than 1 second.
Until today I hadn't used anything but lynx for six months.  Today I
fired up netscape only to have it panic my terminal after 25 minutes -
I think I'll stick with lynx.

I have had virtually no problems with lynx, but there is one thing that
irks me.  When I type in an incomplete URL lynx attempts to complete it
(for example "sun" is expanded to "www.sun.com".  I'm guessing that for
each possible completion of the URL, lynx does a name server lookup.
The problem is that this lookup often takes some time - and AFAIK
cannot be aborted.  Would it be possible to extend the functionality of
the INTERRUPT/'z' key to abort this operation?

I'm running lynx 2.7.1 on Solaris.  I know it's not the most recent
version of lynx, but I couldn't see that this problem had been
addressed in the 2.7.2 version changes.

Many thanks for such an elegant browser, and please keep up the good
work.

Regards,
        Brad

| Brad Tonkes                      |  _--_|\  | See in black & white     |
| School of Information Technology | /      * | Feel in slow motion      |
| University of Queensland         | \_.--._/ | I drown myself in sorrow |
| Australia                        |       v  | Until I wake up tomorrow |