Re: LYNX-DEV: "user Agent: mozilla 3.0 compatible" no-workee

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV: "user Agent: mozilla 3.0 compatible" no-workee
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 08:28:38 +0000 (GMT)

> I don't understand why frames don't have alt atributes like images.
> Lynx could use those alt texts instead of cryptic frame names when
> provided.

1) the frame names can be used directly as the alternative text;
2) Lynx is the only browser that would make use of the information;
3) there are already fallback mechanisms in the frames specification, even
   if Navigator 4 doesn't recognize Netscape's own <NOFRAMES> tag!!
   (All frames browsers seem to recognize an alternate body on the
   frameset page, but MSIE is the only one I have found to recognize
   <noframes> on other pages, which can be used to provide alternative
   access to navigation, etc., on all pages.  Navigator doesn't suppress
   the contents of <noframes>.)

With regard to (1) the main reason that Lynx displays the frame names
is because of failure to do (3) (blank screens) and abuse of (3) ("get
a better browser").  It is probably unreasonable to expect authors of
such pages to use alt text even if it were available.