Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx can I ??

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx can I ??
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 21:12:19 -0500 (EST)

[How strange!  This came back from the majordomo with no body.  Here it is
 again.  Hope the body stays in this time.]

kelvin james <address@hidden> wrote:
>Dear Sirs,
>We are developing some internal WEB access features and are currently using
>LYNX via dumb terminals from a VMS host to a WEB server, MS IIS, on an NT
>box. There a few issue which perhaps you can point me in the right
>direction on:
>1. We would like to parse a file name to LYNX and have it store the "data"
>sheet from the WEB page out to. We have used -crawl/-travesal but the are a
>little cumbersome.

        $ define/user sys$output out_file
        $ lynx -dump in_file

        You also could make that a DCL script file, to which you pass
out_file and in_file as P1 and P2.

>2. Also with above we would like to parse some data to be input to the WEB
>page, ie. not have the user interact with the WEB page totally at all.

        I'm not sure what you mean.  Lynx outputs the rendered file
and exits on its own with -dump.  You could make the above script more
elaborate so that it inserts the output into a larger document.

>3. We would like to remove, or bypass, the final screen from the user and
>have them exit back to home system after the final page of the WEB request,
>ie. No P)rint etc menu.
>Is this possible, Iwas about to attempt some of this via the VMS DCL
>features but I thought I would ask you first if you and idea/upgrade/other
>version which may be more appropriate to our needs.

        If I understand what you're asking, the above can achieve what you
want.  Read the documentation concerning switches (qualifiers, in VMS
parlance) which affect the formatting of dumps.

        You would be wise to upgrade to the latest version, whether you
"need to" or not, because it's free, and hopefully better than the older
versions.  See:

        http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/release/

                                Fote