Re: LYNX-DEV problems under su using lynx

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV problems under su using lynx
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 08:23:57 +0000 (GMT)

> But when I am logged in as root and 'su - jonathan' and then I visit
> the site it loads and then dies with the error of:
>
> ynx: can't resolve symbol '_IO_getc'
>
> (no, there was no 'l' on the beginning of 'ynx')

Insufficient detail:

From the available evidence, you have a different shared library environment
after running su; I would look carefully at your .profile file, etc.
You should probably treat the su problem as a medium risk security problem,
as spoofing the shared library environment is a known Unix hacking technique,
although the most likely cause is that su has deleted an environment variable,
for security reasons and the -su) branch of .profile hasn't re-established it.

Operating system brand and version and Lynx version information would have
been desirable.

The truncated program name is presumably a bug in ld.so, or whatever the
dynamic loader is called on your system.