Re: LYNX-DEV ALT text alignment problem (lynx 2.7.1ac-0.108 and

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ALT text alignment problem (lynx 2.7.1ac-0.108 and
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 11:10:10 +0000 (GMT)

>       The "circumstance" is that the IMG element is within Anchor
> content, and has been handled that way since v2.4.  The author of that
> document is using an image as a bullet, and including it in the Anchor
> content instead of preceding it, plus using "Arrow" as the ALT, instead
> something like "*" or "->".

It might be worth noting that MSIE 4 handles list type style sheet entries
properly, so it just might be possible to convince the author to do the right
thing and use <li> with a stylesheet that defines the bullet graphic.
This works well with Lynx, with anything trying to parse the page, not just
produce a picture, and with MSIE 4.  It degrades to the default bullet with
MSIE 2 and 3.  I'm not certain of the Netscape position.

>       The problems with ALTs for Lynx are going to escalate rapidly,
> because the latest versions of the Big Two browsers have started using
> ALTs as tooltips for GUIs.  I'm still thinking about what to do about

A book I just got, suggests that MSIE 4 uses title for this purpose as well.
In fact this useage appears to be in the July 97 draft of HTML 4.0, so
I think anyone causing problems with ALTs that only make sense as tooltips
should be gently directed towards using title, instead.   The trouble is
that most things are done on the basis of anecdote, rather than as the
result of reading the specs.