LYNX-DEV I have learned a lot from this...

From: Robin Hamman
Subject: LYNX-DEV I have learned a lot from this...
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 15:26:18 -0600 (CST)

Thanks for all the email. My apologies for calling your favourite browser
"retro". I didn't mean to offend.

I had no idea that Lynx was still under development, nor did I know that
there was such a loyal user base. I first used Lynx when I was doing my
undergraduated degree - pre-netscape days. The idea for the article was to
get a copy of that original lynx browser and check out some current sites
to see what happened when I did. I managed to get a copy of the first issue
of Mosaic for the 68xxx mac a while back and found that, although I
couldn't view java applets or hear real audio, and tables were useless, the
browser actually booted up really fast and pulled pages down faster than
Netscape. The experience of browsing the web with that original version of
Mosaic was surprisingly less different than I had expected it to be. And it
made me realise, all this continual downloading and upgrading of the newest
versions of browsers just doesn't make sense. If I would have known that
Lynx was still under development, I would have specified that i wanted an
early example of the technology. Now that I know that there are newer
versions of Lynx, I might just end up testing and evaluating those!!

As for the Africa trip... this is at the very least 2 years down the road.
I need to get some equiptment donated first, but more importantly I need
some concrete goals. Lynx does present an interesting browser choice for
this, but also some problems. For example, many of the people who I hope to
be working with will not have a very high level of reading ability. Of
course, part of the project will be to encourage literacy, but another part
of the project will be to turn the artistic and musical talents of these
people loose on the net. Pictures, art, and sound will all be very
important and I'm not so sure that Lynx is the appropriate technology for
such a project.

So maybe you can keep filling up my email box with suggestions and examples
of ways in which lynx is a better browser than netscape and navigator (it's
MS - that's good enough really, but humour me...) and some of your thoughts
on why Lynx might be a suitable browser for an African tour.

Thanks again.
: )
Robin.

Robin Hamman