Re: LYNX-DEV More on SIGINT for DOS

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV More on SIGINT for DOS
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 20:33:11 +0300 (MSK)

> > BTW, what's about "z" key in DOS version - why it is not working yet?
> > Is it a minor fixable problem or require more multitasking here?
>
> I guess one problem is deciding what the key should do that it does not
> do now. My understanding is that it aborts loading of a html page fine,
> but in the DOS version it does not break out of a hung "html request
Yes, hunged request.

> sent - waiting for reply".  It doesn't break out of a hung nameserver
> lookup, but I don't think that it does in any platform where you can't
> use NSL_FORK. I haven't looked at either problem. Are there other
> problems with its functionality? How do you think "z" should work in
> DOS?

I think "z" should interrupt *any* transfer/negotiating
and switch immediately to listening-to-user mode,
so DOS user could press any keys... As it is on Unix.

I mean you should not abort program via ^C if you encounter any problem
with particular link (according to your words), but press "z"
and go another link... Or you mean the other,
smth like ^Z on Unix - not stop transfer, but suspend?

quote:
> On 23 Jan 1998, Hasan Karahasan, DJ2xt wrote:
[...]
> > The fact is that - if lynx is busy with waiting saying "http request sent;
> > waiting forresponse" - you _cannot exit_ from it. You can _only exit_ if
> > lynx
> > is idle. Lynx is idle, when it is not busy with loading or rendering. It is
> > very important to exit from lynx also when it is busy. Say you have done a
> > http request, and you are waiting for response. Then it can happen that you
> > wait and wait because the net is to slow for the moment. There is no way to
> > interrupt lynx than making a warm reboot of your system. Okay, this maybe
>
> This is exactly the situation where I use ^BREAK.  As long as BREAK was
> set to ON, I was able to exit.  With the patch I recently submitted, you
> shouldn't have to set BREAK to ON for this to work.  Are you sure that
> (1) the patch was applied to PDCurses and (2) BREAK was ON before you
> invoked lynx?
[...]