Re: LYNX-DEV Splitting the current distribution zip file

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Splitting the current distribution zip file
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 14:21:01 +0900 (JST)

> I'm looking at ways to split the current Lynx distribution now that
> neither the tar.gz nor the zip files fit on a 3.5-inch floppy :-(

It's been that way a LONG time over here since neither FreeBSD on NEC98s
nor Linux on FMRs have kernels which support anything but 1.25 kB formatting.

> Comments?

Six or so months ago I recommended that the distribution be divided
into source code and documentation trees, somewhat along the lines of
bind (see "ftp://pub1.bryant.vix.com/isc/bind/src/cur/bind-8";).  Klaus
did not favor the plan, and personally I still have reservations about
doing it, particularly since it would separate the help files, samples
and tests from the source.

A better idea, and what I actually did once on a FreeBSD machine I was
installing without a cdrom or networking, might be to produce a target
that would clean out all but the bare essentials for your system.  This
would work great with autoconf since you already know what the system
needs or not.  I did this about six-months ago, and _with_ the help-file
tree, it was a 830kB tar.gz.  I doubt that many people would have the
need or desire to download directly to /dev/fd0.

__Henry