RE: LYNX-DEV fatal crash

From: David Hardy
Subject: RE: LYNX-DEV fatal crash
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 10:59:16 GMT

On Thu, 5 Feb 1998 10:07:19, Lisa Ellis (address@hidden) wrote:

>       I've encountered a problem with lynx lately and I'm hoping
>       you can help me understand what's happening and how to get
>       around this stumbling block.  I used to be able to access
>       this particular website but recently lynx just got all
>       different and took a huge change for the worse.  The message
>       which came onto my screen read:
>
>       a fatal error has occurred in Lynx ver.2.3 Beta
>       send a description of what you were doing at the time of the
>       crash
>
>       All I was trying to do was access the Philly Film Office at
>       www.film.org, which previously the system has always let me do.
>       It still does let me, however once there I try to connect with
>       the Online Job Hotline and that is where the crash occurs.  I
>       am unable to access any information, where before I could check
>       out the different sites on the film office's website.  i really
>
>       miss this feature, do  u think you can help me?
>
>       Thank you,
>       Lisa Ellis

Lynx version 2.7.1 loads the page (http://www.film.org/whatnew.htm)
successfully but there is something definitely wrong with the file whatnew.htm
as it displays in four screen pages (less than 80 lines) but the source file is
393342 lines long, most of which are blank. The file is 792253 bytes in size
which could be causing the crash of Lynx 2.3 beta (or perhaps you don't have
enough disk or memory space to handle the file). Whilst I'd recommend using a
more recent version of Lynx (version 2.7.2 is now available), I'm sending a
copy of this message to the creator of the page in the hope that they'll
correct the whatnew.htm file's structure.

David

| David Hardy,                        | E-mail: address@hidden |
| Department of Information Services, +-------------------------------+
| University of Northumbria,          | Silence is not only golden,   |
| Northumberland Building,            | it's seldom misquoted.        |
| Ellison Place,                      |                               |
| Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8ST, U.K.  |               - Bob Monkhouse |