Re: LYNX-DEV Compilation error LYNX2-7-2 VAX VMS 7.1 DEC C 5.6 with MULT

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Compilation error LYNX2-7-2 VAX VMS 7.1 DEC C 5.6 with MULTINET 4.0C
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 01:45:39 -0500 (EST)

"T.E.Dickey" <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I'm using DEC C V5.6 on VAX VMS 7.1 with Multinet 4.0C.
>> Trying to complie LYNX 2-7-2 and getting a compilation error as shown below.
>> Any suggestion?
>I'd take out the declaration & see what other problems I had.
>(most of those extern declarations to system library functions are
>inappropriate, but take a lot of work to find)

        The problems with some combinations of DECC and MultiNet versions
is an FAQ, included in the "Al's picks" VFAQ, and addressed numerous times
on this list along the lines of:

        "This problem and what to do about it is explained in the
         PROBLEMS file."

It might be a good idea to actually read the PROBLEMS file, since that
detailed explanation of the problem and what to do about it still
applies to the development code.

        I just tried building -113 on VMS here and had no errors or
warnings.  I haven't looked closely at the actual mods in it, and the
block of time I had to play with Lynx got used up fixing bugs in v2.7.2,
and in the CONNECT support (for proxying https URLs) in lynx272ssleay.zip.
I don't know when I'll find another block of time, but let me warn you
that some of those chartrans patches were misguided, based on inferences
drawn from bugs in the development code's chartrans support.  They
further mask the bugs, rather than fixing them.  Also, the problem
with the INTERNAL_LINK stuff was not just the inefficacy of the
compilation symbol for not using it (see the 1997-10-26 entry in
CHANGES.new), but in its invalid logic (see the verbose repetition of
it in the 1997-11-03 CHANGES.new entries) despite Roy Fielding's replies
about whether he intended those interpretations in his URL -> URI drafts,
and that no other browser has or would implement them, even if he had
intended that.  Sigh...

                                Fote