Re: LYNX-DEV nntp bug

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV nntp bug
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 00:29:05 -0500 (EST)

Jonathan Bobin <address@hidden> wrote:
>Found an interesting bug (?).
>
>I tried to get a newsgroup listing using the URL "news:"; and lynx crash
>(sig 11).
>
>I have no idea what version of Lynx I am using, but I know its one below
>the current release and also has the SSL stuff inside.

        That URL will be treated by Lynx as having an implied path of '*'
and be handled as news:*  It was previously reported that some site's
newsgroups files, used for that wildcard listing of all groups at the
site, can yield excessively long group names which crash Lynx.  Protection
against that was added in v2.7.2 and the development code.  Use the
-version switch, or use the showinfo command ('='), to determine what
version you have (and use the 'h'elp command to access addition information
all Lynx users should know :).

        The SSL stuff is not used for news URLs, only for https and
snews URLs.

                                Fote