Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.7.1 w/cookies still doesn't work with Yahoo services

From: Matt Ackeret
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.7.1 w/cookies still doesn't work with Yahoo services
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 11:35:41 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Michael Bennett wrote:
>Hi, great that Lynx 2.7.1 now supports cookies, but it still doesn't
>work with the cookies that Yahoo sets for some reason.  Is this
>something that can be fixed?
>
>As an example, go to http://quote.yahoo.com then select on
>"Register/Log In".  You can try the test account "sumthree"
>with password "lynx" on the following.  When selecting "LOGIN"
>on this page, Lynx returns:

I brought this up many months ago.

The problem is that apparently Yahoo breaks the rules (RFC) for cookies...

You can go look at the previous discussion, but apparently they try to set
a cookie from someone.yahoo.com (I don't think it is simply quote.yahoo.com),
and that breaks some rule regarding security.  Or possibly it was
a.b.yahoo.com.

You can recompile Lynx to allow these "illegal" cookies.  I actually think
this should be a USER level thing in a future version of Lynx.

If there's not a specific option set to allow these, when you hit such a
cookie type, you should get something along the lines of:

This site has tried to set a cookie that may be a possible security risk.
Would you like to R)ead more about the potential security problem, allow this
one C)ookie to be sent, or A)lways allow such cookies to be used.

Typing A would turn on the permanent (until they unset it) option to allow
such cookies.