Re: LYNX-DEV Possible Bug

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Possible Bug
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 09:20:43 +0900 (JST)

> We are using Lynx 2.7 here at nano and resently a couple of users have
> been kicked off the system. One of them did see a quick message about a
> possible bug in lynx. They just get kicked off the system I haven't been
> able to recreate the event and I am at a loss as to what may be causing
> it. We are runing a RH4.2 and this problem just started after upgrading

It would help to know what version of Lynx you had prior to the upgrade
and the type of account your clients have (captive or login).  The "a
couple of" and "kicked off the system" are only hints.  I am not at all
familiar with "RH4.2", so apologies if I am way off base.  Are core files
dumped?

Three possibilities come to mind.  1) Lynx cannot find the lynx.cfg file.
2) Lynx cannot find or connect to the startup page.  3) Your users are
invoking the "-book" command line switch, but the upgrade has brought
multibookmark support and a conflict has been created.

1)  The development/autoconf version of Lynx puts lynx.cfg by default
in /usr/local/lib (Unix).
2)  You are wise to start Lynx with a "file://localhost/" URL to avoid
network problems.
3)  Advise your users of multibookmark support and have them read the
online help files and comments in the distribution lynx.cfg on how to
set them up.

__Henry