LYNX-DEV Text-to-Speach Under LINUX

From: Don Irvine
Subject: LYNX-DEV Text-to-Speach Under LINUX
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 14:42:24 -0800

My name is Don and I am the Manager of a small Community Network on
Vancouver Island on the West Coast of Canada.  Our Network's mandate is
to provide the community the broadest access possible to local
information about events, programs and social services.  During our
planning we realized that "Access Issues" were a prime concern and that
a large segment of our public had various forms of vision impairments or
literacy challenges.

Early on we began work with our local Community College (a Canadian form
of Junior College and Technical Institute) to develop a Public Access
Terminal (PAT) running an HTTP Browser over the LINUX Operating System.
This decision was based primarily on security, cost (LINUX is GNU-public
domainware) and remote administration needs but also to challenge the
student programmers.  These PATs would be deployed as a sub-system of
the Community Network.

Long story short, we want to get some form of text-to-speach going and
are thinking Lynx may be the route to go as it is text only and will
simplify the client interface overhead if a blind, visually impaired or
literacy challenged user is accessing a PAT.

Know anyone that may have blazed a trail or might be able to suggest a
way ahead? Thanks in advance.

PS - We've been using Lynx since we started and test our pages to ensure
that they are Lynx-friendly.

Cheers!
--
Don Irvine, Coordinator <address@hidden>
Comox Valley Community Information System